Best Combi Boilers 2017
The use of combination boiler or popularly known the combi boilers are increasing every day. Almost 70% of consumers in UK prefer to choose combi boilers over regular or system boilers.
There are a few key indicators that we explain to all our boiler installation customers that will help you decide brand and model of boiler to install. Criteria such as performance characteristics, feature comparison, value for money, warranties & guarantees, should be evaluated before buying.
Who should choose combi boilers?
Combi boilers are small in size and have the ability to supply unlimited hot water on demand any time. They are best suited to small families or couples, and families with limited living space. If you live in a one bathroom property you should consider opting for a combi boiler.
Free combi boiler quote
If you already know that a combi is the best choice for your home, and you’d like to find out how much a new combi boiler installation is likely to cost, why not use our online boiler estimate tool. You’ll have give your estimated price in less than 60 seconds. If you are happy with the cost we can schedule an appointment from our senior installations engineer so that we can assess your current central heating system and provide you with a more precise quote.
Pros and cons of combi boilers:
If you are thinking of replacing your old boiler and upgrading to a new A-Rated energy efficient model there are some advantages and disadvantages to consider when choosing a new combi boiler for your home. Here are some of its pros and cons:
- New A-rated combi boilers are much more efficient then their older counter parts and replacing one could actually save you up to £200 per year on electricity bills.
- Because of its compact size, a combi boiler is easier and cheaper to install. Moreover, finding and replacing parts is also very affordable.
- Combi boilers are compact in size, with no additional water tank. Therefore, less space is required for installation than a conventional heating system.
- Combi boilers can supply unlimited hot water with no waiting time as it doesn’t require a separate water tank to heat up. It heats water directly from your mains.
- Water supplied from combi boilers is always considered safe because, unlike traditional systems it doesn’t store water in a tank before it is piped through the house.
- When selling your property, a combi boiler could be a unique selling point as this efficient boiler will also show on the Energy Performance Certificate.
- Combi boilers come with easier and cheaper maintenance. All our boiler engineers are qualified to repair and service them.
- Combi boilers generally have less sludge build up, because they use water from the mains supply, and are less likely to accumulate rust and debris. This is because water isn’t stored in the pipeline or a storage tank.
- Combi boilers are dependent on mains pressure for water supply. Therefore, you need to check for a good mains water pressure before installing a combi boiler in your house.
- Combi boilers aren’t the best choice if you use multiple hot water outlets at a time. For example, you can’t use the shower or bath and other hot water taps at the same time without a noticing a drop in water pressure. Therefore, a combi boiler is probably not the right choice in a large house with multiple bathrooms where people like shower at the same time.
- You cannot use a power shower with a combi boiler as it is set by the mains water pressure levels.
- If your combi boiler breaks down, you’ll be left without water unless you have an electric shower, because combi boilers don’t have any water tank.
Some Tips to Buy Combi Boilers for Your House:
Size of your property: Always determine the size of your property before buying any combi boiler. There are many brands offering different sizes and models suited for different sized houses.
Warranty & Guarantee: Always check the warranty form provided by the appliance manufacturer and also ensure the maintenance agreement is covered by the company itself so that it suits the system. As a Worcester Bosch and Vaillant accredited installers we can offer extended manufacturer guarantees for both of these brands.
Energy Efficiency Rating: Until September, 2015, the energy efficiency was rated and identified by SEDBUK. However, currently it is covered by ErP, the Energy-related Products Directive. Remember to check the rating and efficiency on when choosing your new boiler.
Size does matter: A combi boiler doesn’t need a higher heat output to deliver the best results. In fact an exact sized appliance will work more efficiently. So, determine the size of the combi boiler according to your house before buying.
Comparing the prices:
Combi boiler prices hugely vary depending on several factors like, brand, warranty, insurance, size, power, and of course installation. Depending on consumer requirement, size of the appliance and model, the price of combi boiler can vary from £600 to £2000, excluding installation charges.
The price of combi boiler also depends on the power of the system. The bigger your house, more number of radiators you have the bigger boiler output would be required. And this affects the price of the boiler.
- A combi boiler with output between 24 KW to 27 KW would range between £700 to £800. This type of boiler is ideal for small house, apartment or flat.
- A combi boiler with output between 28 KW to 34 KW would range between £750 to £850. This type of boiler is ideal for medium sized house with up to 15 radiators.
- A combi boiler with output between 35 KW to 42 KW would range between £1500 to £2000. This type of boiler is ideal for large houses with 3-5 bedrooms.
The prices above are for the boiler only and installation costs, including labour, will be an additional cost when fitting your new boiler.
You can use our online boiler estimate tool to get a better idea of how much your complete installation is likely to cost. If you are happy with the price we can arrange for our senior boiler engineer to visit your property so that we can provide a more exact quote.
Comparing the installation factors:
Combi boiler installation takes a couple of days in most circumstances.
However some practical factors should be kept in mind, that could affect the price and length of time for your installation.
- Size of the boiler
- Position of the boiler
- Are extra radiators required
- The length of the flue required to vent waste gases
- Removal of old water tanks and other central heating components
Popular Brand Names in Combi Boilers:
- WORCESTER BOSCH – Worcester are the leading boiler manufacturer in the UK and have gained many good reviews and has been awarded Which? Best Buy every year since 2011. This brand is more expensive than other some brands but far less likely to break down within the first 6 years of operation.
- VAILLANT – Vaillant boilers are fair value for money, and also good for small houses, but as one of the leading manufacturer’s are also slightly more expensive than other brands. However these boilers are reliable and easy to maintain.
- IDEAL – Has a decent length of warranty. Generally, has a good reputation among the consumers.
- POTTERTON – It is an award-winning company with good customer service.
- BAXI – It offers a good mixture of price & reliability.
- GLOW WORM – Has many satisfied customers for its affordable price & reliability.
Best Combi Boilers 2017
Need help? Hire the London Property Service experts today by giving us a call on 020 3078 5920.